South Dakota's second largest city (polulation of more than 60,000) offers a quality of life that any university student can love. Because the Black Hills are next door and Rapid City is the region's cultural and trade center, you can find a number of restaurants, entertainment outlets, shopping options, and recreation activities galore.
As a student, you can
- Try ethnic foods, dine in a nationally recognized restaurant, or try the well-known restuarants that college students love like Applebee's, Chili's, Ruby Tuesday, and many others.
- Shop Rushmore Mall or downtown Rapid City.
- Browse Borders, Gap, Old Navy, and American Eagle Outfitters.
- Rollerblade, bike, or run the Rapid Creek trail system right by campus.
- Visit Reptile Gardens, Mount Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Crazy Horse Memorial, Custer State Park, and Badlands National Park--or any of the many tourist destinations around the area.
The City of Rapid City website has more information about the city, including demographics.
The Rapid City Convention and Visitors Bureau holds a plethora of information for parents and students. Plan a trip to the Black Hills and stop by the School of Mines for a visit!