Preparing for college can seem like a daunting task. And choosing a college isn't a cake walk either. But it's never to early to prepare or start the process. Here's some things to keep in mind that will help you in the process.
Begin your college search
- Internet searches are a good way to start. Check out the websites of some of the colleges you think you might be interested in.
- Request information from colleges
- Go to some of college fairs in your area
- Visit with your guidance counselor at school
- Meet with admission representatives from different colleges
- Prepare for the ACT or SAT. Even take some practice tests
- Familiarize yourself with admission requirements
- Contact the School of Mines Office of Admissions whenever you have questions.
- Schedule a campus visit
- Make sure you enroll in the right college prep classes. By the time you graduate from High School you should have completed
- 4 years of English
- 3 years of advanced mathematics
- 3 years of laboratory science
- 3 years of social science
- 1 year of fine arts
- Take the ACT (School code: 3922) or SAT (School code: 6652) and have your scores sent to the School of Mines and any other colleges you may be interested in.
- The School of Mines will automatically accept students who
- Obtain an ACT composite score of 25 AND obtain an ACT math subscore of 25 (or SAT equivalent scores) OR
- Obtain a high school GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale and have taken 4 years of mathematics OR
- are South Dakota Regents' Scholars
- Continue college prep courses
- Retake the ACT or SAT if necessary
- Meet with admissions counselors
- Apply to the School of Mines before February 1 to meet the scholarship deadline
- Visit campus if you haven't already
- Apply for Financial Aid by submitting your FAFSA before the March 15 priority awarding deadline
- Use the New Student Checklist to get everything done you need to in order to start in the fall